Way back in the late 1960’s many young people - decided to go east to Afghanistan, it was known back then as the hippie trail - to a life of - sex, drugs and rock n roll. The final destination was Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan Some would stay there for only a few weeks and then go on to Kathmandu in Nepal. However, there was a large number who just stayed and stayed in Kabul, smoking dope, having sex and generally chillaxing. They got - marooned there for years and some never came back to their previous western lives. At that time in 1967 - I was working on a Kibbutz, called Erez in the northwest of the Negev desert about 60 miles from Tel Aviv to the south. I had gone there as a volunteer in the Six Day War - which stated in June of that year. Personally, I was having a great time, but didn’t join the legion of others going further east. Eventually I went to another Kibbutz, Ein Gedi, next to the Dead Sea. This was in the Judaea Desert and very close to the famous fortress of Masada. I decided to move further south to Eilat some 80 miles away. I worked there for a number of months in a beach bar in Eilat and had a wonderful time. I stayed to roughly the end of November and came back to London. I had had a fantastic and life enhancing experience for the best part of 6 months. I’am pleased I decided not to join the - hippie trail and go further east - perhaps I would never have come back to Blighty either?
No comments:
Post a Comment