Tuesday 24 September 2024

An old man.

 It's a strange almost alien process, that in many ways your are unconscious of. However all of a sudden without noticing it you are - old. I became very aware of it last night - on the late train from Charing Cross, after seeing the play Look Back in Anger at the Almeida Theatre in Islington north London. There was a large group of testosterone men on a Stag Night. Needless to say they were almost all -  well oiled and out of it. For almost the first time I was aware of not feeling safe and vulnerable. I moved to another compartment. So I felt - old age had suddenly arrived - not with a bang but a whimper. 

I remember reading about Alan Bennett, new when he was old - was when walking down stairs - he noticed for the first time - that he held onto the banister to prevent himself from falling. In the past when I was a policeman in Soho aged 19 - I never felt any fear or anxiety about my safety or welfare. Now in a flash of blinding light - I was an old man of 82. How time flies by and we don't notice it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment