Thursday, 17 September 2026

A lack of knowledge about the King James Version (KJV).

 I was like many children of my age - I went to Sunday school, back in the late forties and early fifties. I enjoyed the weekly ritual and routine - slowly imbibing the stories of Christ and his disciples and of course the Old Testament. So I read with some sadness in The Spectator this week an article by an Oxford academic Gwion Wyn Jones, the fact that a - knowledge of the bible and its stories and parables are not known by many of our fellow citizens. According to 2014 Bible Society research of British children: 61 per cent were not familiar with the parable of the Good Samaritan and 87 per cent didn’t know about the conversion of Paul on the Road to Damascus. These stories are part of the very - backbone of our collective knowledge of the bible. How is it possible that this - basic understanding and assumptions about the bible is lacking? I find it profoundly depressing and I’m not a Christian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment