Monday, 27 July 2026

Going to hospital today for only the third time in 83 years.

 Today will be my third experience of being an inpatient in hospital. The first occasion was when I was about 3 months old in March 1943 for my circumcision. Because of WW2 - there wasn’t space at my local hospital, so the operation was consequently delayed. My mother always said subsequently - ‘I went in a bonny happy baby, but came home sad and distressed’. Under normal circumstances and in particular in the Jewish faith a boy is circumcised at 8 days old. Thereby minimising the unconscious memory of the trauma. The second occasion was for a minor operation for Dupuytren contracture and it went catastrophically wrong and eventually I had the little finger on my right hand amputated and was in hospital for many weeks. The finger had gone gangrenous due to a failure of a doctor, not the surgeon. I decided to go privately, thinking it would save time and at my convenience. How wrong can you be? Moreover the surgeon was an eminent specialist Orthopaedic surgeon at a recommended private hospital in St John’s Wood, London. So today - hopefully things will be - more successful and not as catastrophic as my two other visits have been. Today is for Laser therapy for my enlarged prostate. No wonder I feel anxious. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment